Airports are no ordinary places. As a matter of fact, they usually represent urban disjunctions, limited by clearly defined no-go areas. Given the chance to rethink the future of Kaufbeuren through the programmatic and physical potentialities of its airport, we envision a long-term strategy of sustainable development based on the ability to bring together different economic and social actors: doing so Kaubeuren is going to enhance its territorial networking and restructure its local economy. As a part of larger regional context characterized by a high density of similar infrastructure, the Airbase will profit of the cooperation with other commercial and research bases to develop a new sustainable aviation mobility. In order to do so, Air Sharing puts in place a coordinated symphony of carefully tailored strategies:
1. to reuse of existing buildings and infrastructures at their full potential, defining specific site qualities.
2. to amplify the unique potentials of non-places.
3. to distinguish private and public interventions, simultaneously coordinating top-down and bottom-up approaches to development.
4. to sutures proximous urban tissues and their functions in order to create a continuous exchange.
5. to shares horizontal and vertical hierarchies, from the common facilities at ground level to the thick strata upon our heads.
in collaboration with: PlaC+Andrea Tomasi